Growing up, my mom always made these delicious zucchini boats stuffed with ground beef, feta, and yummy breadcrumbs on top. They’re so delicious and obviously a super easy recipe to make keto-friendly! Tonight I made more of an Italian style stuffed Zucchini, with hearty tomato meat sauce and mozzarella. This meal was perfect for dinner, and left us with lunches for the next couple of days!
1 lb ground beef1/4 small vidalia onion (diced)3 medium to large zucchini 2oz Mozzarella 2oz Tomato sauceCrumbled feta to taste 2 cloves garlic (diced)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and begin browning ground beef in a large sauté pan
- Drain excess fat and add onions and garlic until they begin to be translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, more or less to your preference. I added just enough to combine the meat and veggies, but you can add more if you prefer!
- Cut tops and bottoms off zucchini and sliced lengthwise
- Using a small spoon, carve out the inside of the zucchini over your sauce pan, mixing the inside of the zucchini into your meat sauce
- The smaller the spoon, the easier to scoop the inside! Make sure not to get too close to the edge and leave a bit of room at the top and bottom. If you scoop too much, these will fall apart so you want to be sure they are sturdy!
- Add your zucchini boats to a nonstick baking pan. To prevent these from tipping over, rest edge to edge in the pan.
- Continue mixing your zucchini into your meat sauce and cook on low/medium heat until incorporated.
- Add small amount of shredded mozzarella to the inside of your zucchini boats. This helps to keep your filling inside of the zucchini (and mo’ cheese is not mo’ problems, right?)
- Stuff the zucchini with your meat sauce, trying to get equal parts meat and zucchini chunks per each boat
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top and add crumbled feta
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 mins or until golden
Yum! That’s all there is to it – these also make great leftovers so they’re perfect for lunch!
Hope y’all enjoy!